Fox's accuracy journey

January 14th: Mostly accuracy focused session
AAAA’s this session: 23 | AAA’s this session: 27

So most of the week I was getting recommendations from Dour to play Gochamaze 2, which is basically all offsync, couple that with some desyncing I was getting in general and you have a recipe for literally just visually reading all week. I decided to have a proper accuracy session, where indeed there were even times I used audio to synchronize my arrow taps! Actually got to spend a lot of time opening files in Arrow Vortex and seeing if I could salvage the sync by only moving offset, apparently syncing files is hard or something because people seem to not be able to do it lol.

Starting off with perhaps my favorite wife quad fairly early into the session. this file is really fun, and I’m glad to have finally preformed it to a degree of justice it deserves. Lots of tech bits and graces in this file to throw you off for sure. The other scores on this file are from several months ago (2-3) and over 2 years ago (4-5) respectively.

In between accing more techy teens files I was also doing some more mid 20s area control. This was a very old goal of mine, well not to wife AAA this but to get a clean FC. This is one of my favorite files from YM1, and every once in a great while (maybe every 4-6 months) I revisit it to see what I can do. I also AAAd brute force but I think this one is a bit cooler.

One of my cooler 0p runs this session, this had a number of snap switches and looking in the editor shows I was handing a whole swathe of BPM changes pretty well. This was a really fun one from FFR Community 4, where I was spending a lot of my time ironing out old CCon and unplayed things today.

5 Likes

January 26th: Big Sanatenshin MP Session
AAAA’s this session: 26 | AAA’s this session: 15

This weekend there is honestly a lot less to talk about in the field of accuracy, as I spent the majority of my day with people like Providence, Poco, and Soutin, having a mass play through of Sanatenshin files on an assortment of rates. While the vast majority of of these songs are glutty or chordjacky, they tend to have very awkward transitioning or sections which push stamina to keep acc on. So while I think if you can hold it, some stuff may be free, actually pulling through and not CBing everywhere is quite a challenge.

I won’t lie, this is fairly straightforward. Some chordjacks and short and light JS sections, but that is about the extent of it. The thing that makes this cool though is that it’s a sightread 99.99 obtained in a multiplayer setting. A 99.99 is hard on pretty much anything ever, so to kind of just casually dump one on my MP mates was pretty great.

There is little to say about this except that it’s basically physical and mental stamina. You’re basically just hitting 130 chordjacks for around 2 minutes or so, with very long sections having no breaks in between.

The other one was stamina 130, but this was fairly long 140 chordjacking, but it was broken up a number of times by streams and some verse breaks. Prov asked me if I could AAA this when he selected it, I didn’t think I would based on it’s MSD, but in the end, yes. Yes I did pal.

A number of my quads this day were towards the end of the MP session, as I was trying to cool off after playing weeb jacks for around 5 straight hours, so I won’t bore you with those. No real tech acc this time unfortunately, but you can’t do everything all the time I suppose.

February 2nd: SMG Pack play-through and general acc session
AAAA’s this session: 31 | AAA’s this session: 22

After last week’s large stint, I wanted this week to be a lot more focused on acc, with a little control sprinkled in. I was suggested by Larksford to check out SMGpack, so I spent a while warming up and getting scores in there.

A number of 32nd bursts in the intro, some holdstream patterning, and a fair bit of breakups in the later JS makes this a pretty fun tech file, and this a solid SR wife quad!

Don’t let this MSD fool you, this is a hard tech file to acc. Four minutes of alternating through tons of 64th swing back to 16ths, streamy areas, mines, just all around a pretty wild ride. Props to James and Scylax for the sync in this, it’s so good, and so fun.

Hi19 wanted nothing more than for me to drop this damn score I swear. I came in expecting a pretty simple JS file but, not exactly what happened. The breakups, the split jumptrills, hand jacks, the ending gluts, just even the little techy shit sprinkled throughout honestly. This was a hard fucking score, I am glad I pulled through and got it!

Here is some more fast paced, consistency oriented acc. I’m glad I cleaned up my old score on this, it was bothering me. Hopefully as time goes on there will be PLENTY MORE WHERE THAT CAME FROM YEAAA-AA-AA-A

PS: I’m going to start keeping track of all my Saturday session scores above AAA in a spreadsheet. Perhaps in like 6 months I could do a little data plotting for all the scores I’ve set since then. It could be a pretty neat thing to try doing.

3 Likes

March 9th: Large push session + brain-dead acc ascension

Not going to lie, I haven’t been too keen on writing up new things here. Mostly this was due to having a few not too great weeks of being kinda sick and not getting anything too crazy, then focusing more on pushing on Saturdays. I’ve gotten cool things of course, but nothing that really set new ground for me. While today was more about pushing (particularly upping my chordjack past 28 finally) I did learn a new trick! Check these out!

Look familiar? Yes indeed my friends, I have finally found the Ice to cool my Fire. Arming myself with J7 (you know things are getting heavy when I up judge for feedback), global offset ms adjusting, and clap, I finally have ascended into the braindead realm (99.995%+ WIFE).

Look at this monster run right here holy fuck. Wife quad / MFC on J6, like 98.4% Justice. Who says old dogs can’t learn new tricks?

I did several others, but those were the coolest of them. Here is a slightly less braindead quad to chew on from much earlier in the session. Fairly decent consistency on this, wasn’t expecting to get it honestly, just wanted to clean up some of my CCon scores. Reasonably fast, kinda jacky / JS combo.

May 11th: Full-bodied acc and pushing session.
AAAA’s this session: 11 | AAA’s this session: 21

It’s been a long time! I’ve still been playing of course, but I’ve largely just been posting scores on Discord. I’ll leave a couple of neat quads and AAAs from this session though, because it was one of my better ones this year (more for pushing but the acc was still solid).

This is a pretty enjoyable file! SMGpack 2 was quite the positive play through in general this session. Like always, MSD means little for quads. Lots of holdstream stuff, and a fair bit of tech stream and little bursts of JS to keep you engaged and on your toes, especially for sightread.

This file baits you into a sense of security in the intro, but then it really lays it on thick with several shifts in pattern direction, very frequent BPM rises and slow downs, polys later in the latter half, and an ending of fairly split trilly 195 JS/Light HS. Definitely my best SR quad in a while.

Now onto AAAs, I offer you some Rebound Dump revisits! This one pulls out a lot of stops, jacky transitions, frequently turns on the heat with trilly 265 js, straight 265 trills, polys with poly jumptrills, even a little 48th holdstream burst action. Anything to make you CB I guess. First time playing this on 1x, I think I played this on an up-rate a while back or something. Anyway, the score is quite nice I think!

This one is a little more casual, but quite solid stream control nonetheless! I am honestly surprised this is the first recorded AAA on EO, this file is really cool for practice, and of course just generally being quite fun to play! If you haven’t I definitely recommend it. Lots of runningmen and trill based stream patterning that makes you work to hold onto your performance!

any advice for accuracy? it seems like i always hit early and i can’t find my optimal notefield position, i aleady tried to change it but still i think something is missing or i’m doing something wrong

If you’re always hitting early there could be a few things messing with your timing. If altering notefield position hasn’t been helping, it is possible that you may either want to adjust CMod or global offset, depending on the circumstances. If you play a rather easy and fairly synced file (e.g. Pancakes in VGMP 4) and find that when playing purely by audio you are still hitting quite early, you will want to adjust your global and leave CMod alone. This can be done in song precisely by pressing SHIFT + F11 (-20ms) or F12 (+20ms), or SHIFT + ALT + F11 (-1ms) or F12 (+1ms). Try playing a couple of times and see if you consistently hit around a certain deviance (e.g. -8ms) and then simply make your global offset the inverse of that (8ms) to counteract the issue. Press ESC and save the setting once you input it, and then simply try again and see if the issue is resolved.

On the other hand, if you can audibly time an easier file with no big issue, but have lots of early hitting when you’re pushing, your CMod may be too slow, and could be increased to make up for the difference so you hit later. Unfortunately, it could also be an acquired habit as you are rewarded a bit for hitting early when pushing to provide a larger buffer before cb rushing. If you are subconsciously doing this as a manip strat, it will be kind of difficult to unlearn. I imagine you’ll have to really try and stress audible style reading for a while and work more in the control area (like 96.5-99ish) to instill a good mean back into your plays.

1 Like

Ok, so i did a few tests playing with the global offset because i think the thing with the music is my main problem and it seems that it improved a bit,

So in most of my plays i used to hit by -4ms (i don’t know if i understand that at all) so what i did was
change the global offset to +4ms, im going to make more tests to see what i can get and hope now it is only a practice problem.

So i played another file just to make sure and as it seems my acc improved a lot with this, im still going to try with 5ms just to see if i can see any improvements.
and thank you for telling me this, i appreciate this coming from someone of the community because i wasn’t having a good image about them. I’m probably gonna be wandering here sometimes because i think this forum is a good idea.

1 Like

I’m glad I was able to help you out! I know accuracy can be very finicky, so it’s good to spread the word around about how to deal with the little curve balls it can throw people. Those means are solid!

1 Like

May 18th: Help, I’m tired as heck but I’m revisiting old scores today!.
AAAA’s this session: 18 | AAA’s this session: 22

This is what I get for drinking well into the AM the night before. Somehow though, through sheer willpower I preformed pretty well in terms of accuracy despite the setback. Maybe it was a strength instead? It’s harder to get nerves when you’re begging for that sweet release.

Let’s check out some UEMP guys! I figured I’d clean out some old AAs and invalid CCon stuff, but apparently dynamic synced stuff is just quaddable on sightread now. This file when playing normally is mostly light jack control, but for acc there are rainbow stream sections and poly holdstream areas which can very easily screw you up quite well.

God do I love me some Dream Theater, and this file doesn’t disappoint! It’s just the solo, but I suppose from a tech aspect that just makes the file harder since it’d be mostly jacks outside of that. Lots of dynamic sync and some rainbow streaming as well. A really solid revisit I think.

This file man, it’s one of my favorites. The song is so good, and I like to come back to it between a few month breaks to get my score as clean as I can. I think I’ve finally completed my mission. First wife quad on site, and I finally got beyond the wall of a Lurker score he set last year. I was very impressed when I saw that way back when, and pocketed it as a goal to strive for. I didn’t get shaky hands, but my nerves near the end were intense…like fire in the pit of my body level. If I wasn’t so damn tired I probably would have threw it away.

Finally I have for you literally the only AAA of note from yesterday, a 99.9 sightread on this huge polystream file. Not like the lame ones where you can kinda just play it sorta normally either, like you have to put a good deal of focus into this file to properly hit the stuff this mad-lad put down. Quite happy with this.

Half way through 2019 update - in depth stats
As I stated in the beginning of the year, I was hoping to keep track of my plays and post an update. Once for half way through the year, and again for the end of the year. I’m attaching an excel sheet you can sort with and see every ranked file I’ve played since January, and the relevant info and links.

For a quick reference of what I’ve been doing, here is the grade range for files I’ve played. AA+ is just beyond max scaling but below wife AAA, since AA is way to large of a range and I don’t want to lump control with pushing.
The sheet, you can sort and comment on cells: Sheet

I suppose in practice this means around half the time I’m working strictly accuracy, and the other quarters are reserved for control and pushing (bias to control of course). Curious to see how many more unique scores I can pull for the rest of the year!

Year end 2019 update - in depth stats
I know absolutely no one uses this forum anymore, but I am seeing this project through regardless. In addition, I figure I’ll add a few more stats just for the sake of comparison in the future. First and foremost, here are the unique grades for ranked files on EO. Obviously packs from the last couple of months aren’t a part of this sheet because of ranking.
Once more, an updated sheet where you can sort scores and comment: Sheet

DMs Series Stats:
I am sent DMs a lot nowadays, and this year has been pretty flooded! I greatly appreciate being able to check out the new things you all are doing, and being kept in the loop is really cool. I have been sent a number of WIP packs too, but this will focus purely on the singles sent to me.

Unique DMers: 72
Singles Sent (including updates): 1,222
Most populated: DourGent (162), DeltaEpsilon (107), Ptet (95)

XML Analyzer Stats:
A quick look at the in game xml stats, which showcase unranked file totals as well as percent based MSD info. Also a showcase of my PB dot graph for the year, as well as every other year I guess.

Unique grades: <AA (811), AA (5147), AAA (3218), AAAA (1685)
Percent capped MSD: 96.5% (29.93), 99.75% (26.02), 99.97% (21.54)
As you may be able to tell by some of my stats, I’m not too keen on farming MSD for acc. Very possible to raise these numbers by just uprating 16th JS/HS or chordjacks if you really want to.

PB Graph:

Fan Art:
While it’s technically not related to Etterna, I have a character from the start of 2019 who has received some love from a few kind souls over the year. Knowing there are people willing to do that melts my heart, and I just wanted to include a blurb and feature an album here.

End:
I may have set a lot of scores this year and improved or whatever, but realistically I just care about experiencing new things, and being able to do so with other people in the community who are willing to honor me with some of their time or creativity. No matter what something makes me feel, having the process be something I can share and others can enjoy even marginally is wonderful. I’ll try my best to keep at it, and hopefully next year will continue to give me opportunities to be involved with the community. The best I can hope for is to provide you all with a shared experience when I stream, and something for you all to do while playing by setting as many 1x scores as I can.

Take care everyone! See you around in 2020.

2 Likes

1200 quads hot damn

1 Like

April 11th: Consistency and mental stamina
AAAA’s this session: 6 | AAA’s this session: 12

The story begins one day prior, with me witnessing yet another 7701 AAA, and a subsequent ping about whether or not I jump-trilled the rolls in my play. “The greats are rather high” I was told. I reminded them it wasn’t a J4 run, but it was already weighing on me. The number of AAAs has grown significantly over the last month or so, leaving me feeling pretty down about what I thought was some sort of accomplishment. “I clearly overestimated how good the score was, I feel kinda dumb now”, I said sadly. It seems I was destined naught for comfort, but for a lovely position on a skewer to be roasted.
MA
B e h i n d . . .

Perhaps I was losing my touch, perhaps I was becoming washed up, a shell of a former player awaiting their inevitable skill disintegration. Regardless, someone other than me calling my MA bad‽ tilted

This is serious business! I have work to do, and work I did indeed. I spent a number of hours playing marathon, ultra marathon, and full on mental stamina gauntlets. All of them of course to work on marathon MA/PA consistency today, below I have a few highlights from the session:

After starting and failing to complete Helikopter-Streichquartett 0.7 twice in a row, I figured I would tone down the punishment and instead play a 20 second loop for 10 straight minutes. This is Remove 8-bit, the lovely file no one ever plays in Oxicleaned…I wonder why. However, I am here to work on marathon consistency and mental stamina, little things like “sanity” or “not being masochistic” have no bearing today. Shoutouts to Justice for still not doing this quad suggestion when he said he would.
It’s cool…it’s done now anyway.

Back in the day years ago I remember playing Aim Burst and getting a 99.95…I was so happy. Times have changed however, and base Aim Burst has a few quads now even. So instead of revisiting a song that has slightly more variety and breaks, why not instead play a 20 second loop of the hardest part of the file over and over for it’s length instead? Like, duh, obviously! This is actually a really good practice file all bs aside, I quadded this by the skin of my teeth, totally stoked, especially since this is my first 1x play ever. I was just aiming for a clean AAA, got more than a bargained for!

And here…the grand finale, the magnum opus of marathon consistency for today’s session. I present to you a basically 12,000 note PFC on this absolute UNIT of a file Force of Courage! Holy mother of fuck, 14 minutes of intensity, and of course nerves, all dolled out on this performance. You can actually see me almost throw it away on a note after the held break at the first silence, because I forgot about the second bit. I was freaking out! That wasn’t my worst hit however, basically everything was <=41ms except for a rogue hit…:cold_sweat:
Truly an Easter miracle.

BONUS

After a few hours of marathon dog-piling I needed to cool down, so of course what better way to do that than to play some shorter tech acc stuff? I’ve played this file several times over the last year, never breaking past 99.95 even once, but after what I went through today I was having none of that nerve bullshit. One minute file? No problem pal, just fucking slam it right then and there, one try (after fixing the offset of course fuck my life lol).

This concludes my journey today, You can see my other failures scores below:

A few of these marathons have me get a miss…god who doesn’t love missing? TGWP is a quad with a fucking great. Also not pictured: me quitting out of some revisited marathons that have roll walls I screwed up, like When The Water Breaks. Shoutouts to that garbo file!

1 Like

hi foxfire ur my hero nice acc k thx

1 Like

Thank you for the kind words!

there are some interesting scores on remove 8 bit. feylos played it 0.7 and it did not end well

i have added my own interesting score

1 Like

Thank you for contributing to the Remove 8-Bit playcount! It is an extremely important file everyone needs to appreciate.

November 22nd + November 28th: Tech acc and J6 shenanigans
AAAA’s this session(s): 87 | AAA’s this session: 3

Has it really been 8 months? Time does fly I must say! It’s been such a long time that an entire new version of WIFE was implemented (which I did much play testing and discussion over in regards to the accuracy system for at the time). The transition was swell, and honestly the harsher accuracy curve just made me crave crawling back up again to attain what were more casual scores (.97s and .98s) on more and more content. While none of these scores I’m posting today reach that tightness, I assure you that the ones that did (like 60 of those 80 listed in these two sessions) are far less interesting.

So scene set, I’m looking for more feedback but J7 is always kinda meh, so I decide to actually try J6 which I always overlooked. The two sample points (~15 and ~30ms) turn out to be absolutely excellent for my current ability. There is enough padding to generally have error but not be breaking out J4 perfects like I do with J5 perfects, but enough leniency to generally keep within the marv window and work micro corrections (no late perfect to correcting into early perfect BS). J6 is now my new quad acc star, it’s a happy ending indeed for us.

So hey, this file is pretty sweet! You get yourself some alternation between 300bpm streams, swing, 150 longjacks, and some holdstream minijack / roll tech stuff. Pretty diversified and it keeps you on your feet! The roll stuff is always scary on higher judges since the last thing I want to do is lose a run to dropping one, but of course you need to be vigilant of stuff happening within the same column too.

A lovely little Scintill file with a real challenging mid section to hit correctly. So basically the whole thing is like swing and some holdstream, but then the middle decides to hit you with the dick trill of a life time, along with a pretty techy drum section afterwards. I’m happy to have nabbed another proper scin file quad!

Speaking of Scintill files, oh my goodness. I smacked my prior best of like 15p .93 right out of the water with this crazy run. This file is just a giant ball of tech and graces which will make your sd blow up like crazy if you blink. This was the run on the 22nd where I called it quits, A score I was happy enough with to have afterglow hasn’t happened in a very long time.

And here is the run that made me call it quits on the 28th. I have some fucking history with this file, and if you’ve ever played it before, I wouldn’t be surprised if you do as well. Oh yeah sure 90% of it is straightforward jacks and not a big deal, but that one section…you KNOW the section I’m talking about. The absolute mega dick trill area, the fucking DANGER ZONE, the GREAT TIME ADVENTURE DUDE! Okay so I have literally never completed a run on this without a J4 great, never have I ever. Over the last year and a half(?) I’d toss this file on every couple of months for a laugh and every damn time I’d get smacked. Of course I would, it’s fucking hard as BALLS. So anyway I’m just playing shit and of course I’m like, hey let’s play this, yeah fuck it let’s leave J6 on what could go wrong? So no lie one try and I get to the section and fucking PFC this shit on J6 as if it were some baby ass shit. I think a far superior player invaded my body for about 5 seconds and left, because after that moment I kinda made an audible yelp and was so absolutely petrified. NERVES WERE THROUGH THE ROOF GUY, the hard part was over but now I have to hit these fucking longjacks for another minute while I am shaking like a leaf in a hurricane.

I get to the end though. I HELD ON, IT HAPPENED! I have a fucking wife quad on this damn trill hell file now. Holy fuck, another score with afterglow, and another session ended because you do NOT keep going after reaching such a personal high. That’s in bad taste, what a wild pair of sessions for me. It seems like J6 and playing lots of super easy files to stew warmup on is pretty effective before jumping into tech acc and dump acc.

yea aerosol is hard

1 Like