An album a day for 2019 (recc me albums that dont suck)

stealing raywords idea :sunglasses:

already did the first 10 days so ill just paste them in the OP

Jan 1st

Stereolab - Transient Random-Noise Bursts With Announcements

9/10
pretty good. Crest and Pack Yr Romantic Mind are amazing

Jan 2nd

Grouper - A I A: Alien Observer

8/10
incredible at times, other times a little underwhelming. overall pretty solid, the first 3 tracks are wonderful

Jan 3rd

clipping. - Splendor & Misery

8/10
an interesting idea for a hiphop album
sometimes a little unengaging, but the overall cohesion makes up for it

Jan 4th

Coaltar of the Deepers - No Thank You

5/10
someone on /mu/ mentioned this band as scratching a similar itch to Fishmans, and some of the songs on their compilation album are good, but this album really has no focus and overall sucks with a small handful of highlights

Jan 5th

Fennesz - Endless Summer

6/10
Man this is really underwhelming. most ambient gets SOME kind of emotional response from me but this just feels so… sterile. and not in a way that immerses you, it just feels kinda distant. Happy Audio is a huge standout track however

Jan 6th

NEU! - NEU!

8/10
[Relisten]
why the fuck did I have this as 3 stars when I first rated it? this is fucking awesome

Jan 7th

Starflyer 59 - The Fashion Focus

6/10
man this looses its appeal really fast
the first 2 tracks are nice but it really does not hold up as a 40 minute album

Jan 8th

GAS - KĂśnigsforst

8/10
track 7 (or track 1 on vinyl I think, the one thats 6:18 in length) is really fucking good holy shit

Jan 9th

Coaltar of the Deepers - The Breastroke

8/10
you know I generally try to avoid compilation albums since its usually just popular singles from an artist strung together to sell more records, but I’ll make an exception here since it seems a decent bit of the songs here aren’t on their other albums as far as I can tell. Ironically enough this feels way more focused than No Thank You, and has tons of memorable moments. Just off the top of my head The Lightbed, Raising Slowly, Charming Sister Kiss Me Dead!!, and Mummylover are all excellent.

Jan 10th

Bark Psychosis - Hex

9/10
holY sHIT

reccomend me albums btw
https://rateyourmusic.com/~Latimeria

1 Like

This album flew under the radar when it released in 1987. The first track is pretty weak but the album just gets better and better through out ending at a strong 8/10. Favorite track is “Our Lawyers Made Us Change the Name of This Song So We Wouldn’t Get Sued”

pls no baiting srs reccs only ):

real rec

:slightly_smiling_face:

A Machine Girl album you haven’t listened to yet

Cool album imho

Jan 12th

cLOUDDEAD - cLOUDDEAD

8/10
great album, the mix of ambient with hip hop works surprisingly well. its also one of those fun albums where every negative review boils down to “I hate experimentation in music” and you can go check their 5* ratings and its all ABBA, elvis, the beatles, and other generic shit

Nice pop record

1 Like

you know ive seen this album posted a lot and for some reason I always thought it was a QotSA record lmao

Jan 13th

Public Service Broadcasting - Inform - Educate - Entertain

6/10
solid album, but has a handful of songs that are really cheesy. That said it definitely nails the krautrock sound on tracks like Spitfire and Night Mail

reccomended by: theropfather

relive the glory days of gigasweden in one album

Jan 14th

DEAFCULT - AURAS

5/10
man who even fucking cares
this is the least engaging shoegaze album ive heard in a while. do modern shoegaze bands even try to sound unique? whats the point of making music if literally nothing you make is recognizable from the thousands of other shoegaze bands out there.

if you find this one you win

Jan 15th

Flap+Frog - Cirno Out #2

5/10
kinda bland a lot of the time but the electronic mix with jazz works well on a few tracks, particularly the first. also being entirely arranges of ZUN’s compositions I can’t really give it much credit in terms of songwriting, although at least they dont stick too hard to the formula.

Recommended by: ilikecatsalotihatedogs

i love rhythm game music

omg i love videogame metal
dl for above

Jan 16th

The Breathing Effect - Mars is a Very Bad Place For Love

4/10
ok man the first time it was funny but i really cant listen to any more of this nu-jazz please no more

Recommended by: Xonica