The etterna community's consensus on autechre

autechre is beyond awesome. im obsessed with them so much. now give your thoughts, or even some songs to consider stepping.

examples:
Tri repetae
Untilted
Exai
NTS Session 3

Hell yeah, Autechre is definitely a wavesynth guided bop. In the world of glitch, I appreciate his semiambient and semimelodical approaches.

I would recommend other labelmates from the Warp label Artists - WARP… and I would also check out Datach’i if you are looking for more of a pervasive instrumentality.

In terms of actual charts, I would recommend playing Windoze’s Gantz Graf in DourGent’s Minipack 4. Challenging but representative chart!

1 Like

the biggest problem I’ve ran into while charting autechre’s stuff is how they progress their tracks, the way they slowly unravel and evolve tend to make it very hard to create a compelling cut. untilted is full of insanely cool rhythms, I’m currently working on a full chart for ipacial section but it’s been tough figuring out how to maximize the track’s potential without making it feel too repetitive. windoze’s gantz graf is great in part because the track is so short compared to a lot of autechre’s catalog.

another problem, altho not as big of a deal, is that even tho their music is electronic, a lot of it doesnt actually have a static bpm. cfern from confield, for example, drifts constantly. it sounds like a static bpm at first glance because the window of bpm it drifts within is pretty small, but if you throw it into the editor, you quickly realize that a static bpm causes it to desync

2 Likes

always been wanting an ipacial section file, cant wait to see it

Especially on the spectrum where they take a more ambient approach, it is especially hard to chart something that prioritizes soundscapes and texture over structure… Good luck in general if you are going to take something like elseq and transcribe it to four or six lanes.

Good luck with your Ipacial Section chart.