Etterna Charting Contest 2020 - Voting Thread

birdo
Was very sad not many people charted this, would have been interesting to see which instrument the charter decides to follow.

birdo 1
this reminds me of a glove file in odi3. Specifically mirage garden. where one person would focus on less instruments giving accent to chord hits or cymbals while glove would try to include everything.
When I listened to this song, the first thing that struck me were the snares. my jumpstreams would have consisted only those hits most likely which would have gotten boring.
however, despite this being the only technical version of birdo, i think you chose the right instrument to follow. the bass guitar.
Its the only instrument that increases complexity in rhythyms during the jumpstream parts (85s ish area).
the snares were added to drum fill sections which was great.

birdo 2
more than half the time I dont know what the arrows were going to.
It was very fun to play(slowed down to .9), but i feel like i would have equally if not enjoyed this more if i were to mute the song.
This is redundant but i must stress, it was fun hitting all the arrows but eventually it got repetitive quick for i did not know what i was hitting arrows to.

Blight Mamba 1: | B |
This chart is badly missing layering fundamentals. It’s either overlayered or it’s underlayered (most of the time, the latter). Streams when there shouldn’t be any, streams that are missing. Lot of places where there’s missing jumps, which is usually percussion. Inconsistent patterning for the same verses or same sounds. Holds that aren’t charted to anything. I quite liked the buildup to the second drop though; it’s fun to play even if it suffers from previously mentioned issues, so I’ll give it that. Also, what’s with the reverse PR in the beginning? The jacks in the chorus aren’t represented in the verses after the choruses despite that sound being pretty much identical.

Blight Mamba 2: | A |
Well balanced, but the structure isn’t quite correct. The jacks missing from the chorus are in less intense parts of the song for some reason. Almost a complete disregard for hands despite the many times this chart can really benefit from them. Mines weren’t used very consciously. You did the same mistake 1 did with the jacks, but the other way around. Despite it’s faults, I would still say this is a competent chart.

Blight Mamba 3: | A: |
Some nice use of holds and miniholds here, though there were a few holds that were shorter than they should have been. Overall good layering, save for a few spots where there were jumptrills that didn’t seem charted to something, but rather used because they could be in that moment. As well as the jumptrills, the 16th fills that start halfway through the “chorus” weren’t charted either. Kudos for correctly charting when and when not to have streams in the verse after the chorus, I noticed that only you, 5 and 7 did that. However, unlike 1, 4, 5 and 7, you forgot to put continuous streams in the second half of the chorus when the continuous drum fill starts.

Blight Mamba 4: | A |
Again, inconsistent layering (I hope you’re noticing a common theme at this point), mostly to due with when and when not to have 16th streams (though you did correctly do continuous streams when the 16th drum fill starts playing halfway through the chorus). Fairly good use of miniholds. What the hell is with those jumptrill buildups though? They’re both incorrect layering and a bad spikes (less spikey for the ones with the quads though). Decent use of hands, but there were a few hands that should have been jumps.
Same mistake 2 did with the jacks, though I do have to point out the jacks you did use are a lot of fun, despite a few of them having very awkward transitions.

Blight Mamba 5: | AA. | (W)
By far the the most consistent (and correct) in it’s layering with very few faults. Of which, the only ones I can point out are two different cases of a sound being charted slightly differently in two different instances. Lacks any of the recurring layering issues I mention throughout this post. Fairly good use of holds and good hand usage. Good PR with the hands in the chorus and the holds at the end. Speaking of the holds in the end, I’ve got mixed feelings about it. It certainly works, I just can’t quite say if I like it or not.

Blight Mamba 6: | B. |
A lot of this hold/minihold usage is downright nonesensical. Why in the hell are the slow parts and the “silent” moments during the chorus charted as 16th miniholds? The rest of the miniholds are fine though, I see what you were going for them. A fair amount of places where there are jumps or streams that shouldn’t be there, but to your credit there was very little underlayering, save for a few jumps missing in the buildup to the second chorus. Same mistake 1 did with jacks.

Blight Mamba 7: | B: |
The only contender in the group to dump, sadly with lackluster execution. The idea definitely works, but the patterning for the 32nd streams vary too much with no rhyme or reason and at times are very spikey. This would have worked well if you instead, for example, made them all rolly. Suffers from some similar layering issues as previously mentioned entries, but this time mostly to due with (over and underlayering of) jumps. Fun buildups, save for that one jumpglute spike. Could have definitely used a few more hands throughout.

i enjoyed this alot thanks everyone for submitting files and gl for the voting
2 Likes

Cute

How many likes did my post have before it got removed

I think like 4 including me lmao them cunts probably thought u were serious

I accidentally clicked in the Blight Mamba voting space when I shouldn’t have because I’m a part of that group, whoops. I sent my vote on an entry other than mine, but feel free to void my vote there lol

Interesting entries for all songs, it’s also really interesting and instructive to see the many different takes on one song that charters can have. Also many thanks for all the feedback, it’s really helpful!

I’d contribute towards feedback on other songs, but my BM chart was actually the very first SM chart I ever made, so I don’t feel like I’d know what I’m talking about lol

4 Likes

You should feel welcome to provide your own thoughts regardless of your level of experience or expertise. It helps you to put some of your own concepts and ideas into words, and what you learn from that may surprise you. You don’t have to write as if you were an expert providing technical criticism, you can write as if you were just sharing your opinions and just be open about your experience level.

1 Like

I must say Birdo 2 is the best goddamn file in this contest, just wow. It’s like Van Gogh came back to life and started creating masterfully crafted impressionist files. The charter managed to catch a glimpse at God’s wisdom and expertly condense it into 4 columns, truly an experience. I can feel the charter’s struggle through his art and the result is truly touching.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur. -Roedy Green

2 Likes

Call me when an LN chart wins an Etterna charting contest. That will be the day I will be genuinely surprised.

1 Like