Etterna Charting Contest 2020 Part 2 - Voting Thread

“Will end in 1 week”

1 Like

To be fair subs were supposed to end last week Sunday so he’s probably just keeping the schedule.

Nah but he put 1 week in the second thread specifically, which was not posted last sunday. Uncool, didn’t get to vote for the last two groups because of that. It’s a lot of files to go through in less than a week.

1 Like

Agree there. I was surprised that it ended so fast.

1 Like

2nd last, drat! Though tbf I was out of town for a week and a half of the charting period. Maybe next time!
Also everyone I voted for got #1 so you’re welcome guys

1 Like

thought this was ending on tuesday but here’s my dum headspace reviews :poop:

click

Headspace 1
my biggest issue with the first drop was the choice to represent most of the wubs with rolly patterns. felt less varied in comparison to HS2 or HS6. There were also some small yet critical things that were not included, like representation of the sound at 01:25.655 which felt odd to omit. The 12ths section felt sparse and would probably benefit from having gluts instead; this is merely my own preference of course, but 12th notes and gluts go together like pb&j :yum:
in spite of my complaints, there is still a very respectable amount of detail in this section - it is Not Bad as i seem to be implying, rather it is still Quite Good

this file definitely shines in the second drop - even though the 32nds could have been patterned in a friendlier way, i think it’s a spike that’s more of a good challenge as opposed to an insurmountable wall of difficulty. pretty fun, yet the triple jacks that appear after the streams are pretty dang SLICK my boy, definitely the highlight of this section. This is the best approach to the latter half of the song of all the entries imo, good werk!

Headspace 2
there is a bit too much detail in the calmer parts of the song, which I would expect to have lighter layering. it’s particularly noticeable during the intro where you’re layering four instruments: weird snaps for the wavy noise, miniholds for the melody, rolls for the bass rumble, 48th flams for the claps. focus feels pretty scattered here since each layer is equally as distinct as the other. To be fair, i only really take issue with the first 26-ish seconds of the file; the rest of the break sections are ~alright~ I suppose

some minor nitpicks here and there, like the syncopated rhythm at 00:45.784 which you mysteriously ignored :ghost:; no representation of the distortion thingy at 01:24.881; the pattern at 02:17.381 wasn’t stepped as a jumptrill like in the intro of the file?

all complaints aside - I would dare to say that the first drop was FUN. Some patterns worked surprisingly well, like the weird asynchronous 2134 roll at the start. The entire gluts section was quite spicy, and the extra 8th note on column 1 seen in the 12th gluts section enhanced that pattern pretty nicely. felt neutral on the rolltech, though they seem to play decently

anyway, this file is a relatively difficult and complex dump chock full of unconventional patterns, which is unfortunately going to turn most people away - however, I do respect your choice to adhere to your personal style even in this contest of popularity :slightly_smiling_face:
as an unironic fan of Clutterfunk and Do Re Mi Fa Rondo, i cannot help but appreciate such an outlandish style. I rate this file a Soul/10

Headspace 3
pretty dank colors my man, the song certainly has this foreign, otherworldly feeling to it and the colors reflect that well. from a gameplay standpoint, it should also provide an interesting challenge to intermediate players unaccustomed to weird snaps. the colors also gave certain patterns a bit more flair, which would otherwise have just been plain old 16ths. It is a very good easier take of this song - the difficulty throughout is well balanced, yet also not afraid of using some spicier jacks, bursts, and holds. also the cut was SMOOTH AS FUCK, i actually didn’t even realize it was there

i went through the file multiple times now and I can only think of like one minor ass nitpick; otherwise, I can’t find any glaring faults in the file whatsoever mang. file’s too good my boy, should’ve made it worse so that i’d actually have anything to say :flushed:

Headspace 4
I am not even remotely qualified to be judging xmod files, so take these words with a grain of salt :pensive:

most of the difficulty of this file seems to stem from (a) being able to read speedups and (b) ‘memorization’ gimmicks; i think both are fine if used appropriately. the speedups at 1:15.925 and onward for example are pretty considerate (except the first one lol), since the patterns are simplistic enough to play even given the scroll speed; furthermore the structure of the song makes it easy to predict where the speedups will lie i.e. every 8 beats. yet, there are also some very inconsiderate speedups like the one at 1:15.925 - those 16ths are very mean, and also just inconsistent with how the rest of the section is stepped

i feel pretty neutral on the memorization gimmicks, though there’s a decent amount of these scattered throughout the file and it kinda kills sightreadability; i think if you’re going to use this type of gimmick you should do so sparingly so as to not utterly annoy your audience

some additional comments:

• there’s a ton of spots in the file that were absolutely begging for stutter gimmicks to be used, kinda felt lazy in that regard
  • jumpstream section with the 24th bursts was relatively spiky, but acceptable
  • T H A N K S for setting the bpm to a fixed number, made it easier to choose an xmod. very considerate :slightly_smiling_face:

overall, pretty sightreadable but utterly slaps you with non-sightreadable gimmicks in certain spots; gimmicks weren’t amazingly impressive visually speaking, but serviceable enough. file is Pretty Okay. also, i recommend looking at Rows or Groundhog, as these are hecking Quality xmod files and i think there’s a lot to be learned from them (also they’re the only two xmod files ive played in the past 2 years or so :no_mouth:)

Headspace 5
this file feels like it prioritizes technical accuracy above all else - but as a result, there is a complete disregard for having both a proper difficulty curve and interesting expression ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
while there’s nothing wrong with this style, it feels like an ill-fit for this song in particular; this song is very rich in detail and has a bunch of interesting sounds to follow, and stepping it so rigidly just feels like a waste…! if you haven’t already, i would suggest taking a good look at the other entries and studying how certain things were expressed :face_with_monocle:

regarding the difficulty curve, the 32nds are very :japanese_goblin:, pls think about what difficulty level you want the file to be and appropriately step it that way. it is very unclear as to who the target audience is for this file, since the difficulty varies so wildly

at the very least, i don’t think this file is poorly stepped at all; it is just bland

Headspace 6
might half ass this review since the contest is already over sorry :joy_cat:
really liked how the first drop was handled, there is just a great amount of pattern variety to be seen here, and it just hits the sweetspot for me in terms of difficulty; very fun and definitely my favorite first drop of all the entries :blush:

really liked the minijack section at the end - although it is a bit spiky, i think this was also the only entry to step this as minijacks!

the cut is definitely the greatest weakness of this file however; perhaps you avoided stepping the latter half due to its potential spikiness with the 32nd hihat stuff, but i’m sure you could’ve figured something out. HS1 pretty much took the “ok fuck it” approach and stepped it as straight 32nds with jumps included, which somehow worked; HS2 stepped it as broken up 32nd streams, which was quite reasonable. i would’ve loved to know how you’d handle this part personally, but now we will never know :ghost:

my vote was split between this and HS3, but think i would’ve voted this one in spite of the cut, since i really just prefer this difficulty level in the end

I did actually step the second half, multiple times in multiple different ways and couldn’t find a sweet spot to not make it disgustingly spikey (Even more so than my usual stuff) so I just rushed a cut to submit lol

Jacks felt good to me but everyone felt they were a spike so my bad on that front lol

1 Like